Washington Post has a few tips this morning for high school seniors planning to attend college. We’ve added one more:
6. Join a fraternity.
One of the least talked about reasons to “go Greek” is the fraternity system’s unique ability to ease the transition from high school to college. Do some basic research to make sure you join the best chapter on campus (e.g. search for chapters that have recently won awards from their national office; stay away from the chapters with a history of risk reduction problems). The right chapter will:
- Push you to perform at a high level in the classroom
- Expect honorable behavior at all times, including responsible alcohol consumption
- Encourage you to get involved in additional campus organizations
- Provide leadership opportunities
- Facilitate personal and professional development opportunities
- Get you prepared for starting a career or getting into grad school
What are some other reasons college freshman should consider joining a fraternity to ease the transition from high school to college? Leave your thoughts in the comments section.