This post is part of a larger series to address the most common myths, misconceptions, and excuses that chapters and members have regarding the LEAD Program. Follow the entire conversation and get caught up on each of the issues we are addressing by clicking here.
15. Got LEAD? There’s a session for that.
Everyone is looking for tools to make life easier. What’s out there that can make this faster, more efficient or effective, and simplify my life?
Fraternity is no different.
Why reinvent the wheel or come up with our own tools when a tested one already exists?
LEAD is a proven effective tool for improving individual members and chapters.
Here are some examples of common chapter issues and the related LEAD sessions that address them.
- Officer transitions are ineffective or non-existent
- Chapter meetings are too long, chaotic, or ineffective
- Officers are overwhelmed by their duties or don’t know how to effectively use their committees
- The chapter lacks direction and clear plans for action
- Members are not involved outside of the chapter, Brothers don’t see the benefit and opportunities of involvement in other campus organizations
- The chapter is struggling academically, grades are sub par
- Confusion about diversity – what is it, why is it important, how do we become more diverse?
- Chapter has accountability, motivation, or discipline issues
- Members don’t understand what is and is not acceptable or allowed. Confusion about risk management policy.
- Addressing alcohol issues – misuse, over-consumption, how to help a brother in need, dealing understanding related alcohol rules, laws, and policies
- Time management and balance issues
- Chapter is looking to get involved in the community. Confusion on the difference between philanthropy vs. community service.
- Unsure of how Sigma Nu works on the international level, what the Grand Chapter is, how the High Council operates, what’s in The Law of Sigma Nu Fraternity, Inc.
- Members lack direction or an understanding of how to be effective
- Brotherhood is weak, need to integrate newest members with the rest of the chapter to create a cohesive team
- Need to spice up meetings, LEAD sessions, or other events. Want help in introducing groups to one another. Looking for retreat activity ideas.
Next time you run into a problem, want to address an issue, or are looking to implement change, ask yourself, “is there a LEAD session for that?” Chances are very good that there is.